Tax Credits

0843 557 3382

Tax Credits Helpline
Tax Credits Helpline

Tax Credits is a Government-led scheme designed to top up the income of low-income households. If you need assistance with making a tax credits claim, call the Tax Credits helpline on 0843 557 3382.

Why would I contact the Tax Credits Helpline?

  • To get help making a tax credits application.
  • To find out more about the criteria that you need to fit to become a claimant.
  • To change your details such as employment, address or bank information.
  • To report a late payment.
  • To make a complaint about a tax credits claim or about a person who dealt with your claim.

Other Tax Credits Contact Numbers

Department Contact Number
Claims 0843 557 3382
Head Office (HMRC) 0844 453 0158
Payments 0843 557 3382

Tax Credits Helpline Opening Hours

Days Opening Hours
Monday- Friday 8am-8pm
Saturday 8am-4pm
Sunday Closed

Tax Credits Head Office (HMRC)

Department Address
Head Office (HMRC) 100 Parliament St, London SW1A 2BQ

Where is my tax credits renewal pack?
Claiming tax credits as a student
Are tax credits taxable income?
Which banks accept tax credits for a mortgage application?

Working Tax Credit

Working Tax Credits are designed to help top up your income. You have to be between the ages 16-24 and have a qualifying disability/child or you can claim if you are over the age of 25, regardless of whether you have children. To be able to get working tax credits, you’ll need to work a certain number of hours per week, get paid for the work and your income must be less than a certain amount. The basic amount of working tax credit is £1960 but you can get more in certain circumstances, for example, if you’re a couple applying together, a single parent, work at least 30 hours a week, have a disability or pay for approved childcare. With working tax credits, the money will be paid into your account once every four weeks. If you begin a new job, your working hours change, you get married or your child moves out, you’ll need to report these changes to the tax credit office. You can do this online or by calling the Tax Credits helpline on this page. It’s important to note that you can’t claim working tax credit alongside universal credit.

Child Tax Credit

Child Tax Credit is a type of tax credit that you could receive if you are responsible for a child under the age of 16 or one under the age of 20 who is in certain types of education or training. You’ll get money for each child that qualifies. The basic amount of child tax credit is known as the family element and is up to £545. You could get extra elements if your child is disabled. However, from April 2017, you’ll only get the family element of child tax credit if you are responsible for a child/children born before that date. As with working tax credit, if your circumstances change- for example, moving in with a partner or your child turns 16, you need to report this to the tax credit office.

If your child is under the age of 20 and in approved education or training (such as A levels, NVQs or apprenticeships) you could continue to claim child tax credit.

Tax Credit Calculator

The Government website has a tax credits calculator which can be used to help you work out how much tax credits you can get. You’ll need to know information relating to your income, your partner’s income, any benefits you claim, the number of hours that you work and how much you spend on childcare per week.

Tax Credits Renewal

Tax credit renewal
Tax credit renewal

You don’t need to fill in a new claim form to renew your tax credits. You’ll automatically be sent a renewal reminder by HMRC and you can renew online. To renew, you’ll need to tell HMRC your total income for the last year plus information about any changes to your circumstances such as moving in with a partner. This will help make sure that you receive the correct amount of tax credits. You can also renew your credits via the post, using the renewal pack that you were sent by HMRC.

Popular questions about Tax Credits

Where is my Tax Credits renewal pack?

Your Tax Credits renewal pack should be sent to you via post. If you’ve not received it by the 28th of June, you should contact HMRC who will chase up the whereabouts of the pack and send another if necessary. The deadline for tax credits renewal is the 31st July.

What Tax Credits can students claim?

You can claim tax credits as a student if you meet certain rules. You have to do paid work in addition to studying if you want to claim working tax credit. If you don’t have kids, you’ll need to be over 25 and working 30 hours a week minimum to claim. If you’re single and have at least one child, you can claim child tax credit and working tax credit if you work 16 hours a week. The rules around claiming for students and the amount you get will vary, so it’s worth calling the tax credits helpline for clarification.

Are Tax Credits taxable income?

No, although some benefits can be classed as taxable income, tax credits are not. This means that it doesn’t count as income when you send a self-assessment tax return.

Which banks accept tax credits for mortgage?

There isn’t a definitive list of banks that accept tax credits as part of your income for a mortgage, but some people on money saving forums report that Halifax takes tax credits into consideration. HSBC also list working tax credits as a form of income on their mortgage calculator.

About Tax Credits in the UK

In the UK, tax credits are used to support people who have a low income. The credits are paid directly into a claimant’s bank account every month. If you’re claiming as a couple, you must choose one person’s account for the money to go into. Tax credits are capped, which has led several critics to claim that this affects the poorer families directly, meaning they have to spend less on essentials like food and petrol just to get by.

If you need more information about claiming tax credits, call the tax credit helpline using the phone number on this page.