0844 453 0158

HMRC Helpline
HMRC Helpline

HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) is a Government organisation. If you need to contact HMRC for any reason, you can do so by calling 0844 453 0158.

HMRC Phone Numbers

Department Contact Number
Taxes 0844 453 0158
Head Office 0844 453 0219
Payments 0844 453 0158

HMRC Head Office Address

Department Address
Head Office 100 Parliament Street, London, SW1A 2BQ

When is the HMRC helpline open?

Days Opening Hours
Monday- Friday 8am-8pm
Saturday 8am-4pm
Sunday Closed

Why would I need to call the HMRC helpline?

  • For help filling out your self-assessment tax return.
  • If you are an employer and you need assistance with PAYE.
  • If you’re having issues with your tax credits claim.
  • If you have a question about National Insurance contributions.
  • For assistance with income tax.
  • For more information about VAT rates.
  • If you are having difficulty with a child benefit claim.
  • If you owe HMRC and have a question about payment.

HMRC: What to do when an employee leaves?
How to register as an employer?


One of HMRC’s primary services in the UK is collecting the tax. Tax is collected in a number of different ways- through automatic deductions from wages or by having a person fill in a self-assessment tax return. There are a lot of different types of tax including income tax, council tax, corporation tax, national insurance contributions, excise duties on certain items, stamp duty and consumption tax, the latter of which is otherwise known as VAT. It’s said that income tax makes up the majority of the income for the Government closely followed by National Insurance contributions. Every year, a person has an individual tax allowance, which is an amount that they don’t pay tax on- the allowance is currently £11,000. Certain things are exempt from tax such as; individual savings accounts, pensions funds and charities.

If you need assistance with a type of tax, just call the HMRC Helpline using the phone number on this page.

HMRC Tax Return

If you’re self-employed, earn over £2,500 from savings/investments/renting out a property, a company director, had income from abroad, earned over £50,000 and claimed child benefit or you had an income of over £100,000 you will need to fill out a self-assessment tax return. You can submit your tax return online or return it via post and the method that you choose affects the date that the return needs to be submitted by. You have to register for self-assessment in October. Paper tax returns must be returned to HMRC by the end of October and online tax returns have an extended deadline to the end of January. If you are late in submitting your self-assessment tax return, you will have to pay a fine.

There are a number of ways that you can pay your tax bill. They include online banking, at your bank, at your local Post Office, by Direct Debit or by sending a cheque through the post. If you opt to pay online you might find that the service is slightly slower during peak times such as close to the deadline. You can always check to see if there are any current issues by visiting the HMRC website.

HMRC Tax Refund

There are certain circumstances where you might be eligible to claim your tax back. This could be if you had too much income tax taken from your wages, stopped working or paid too much tax on your pension payments. Other instances where you could reclaim tax include if you use your own money to fund working (such as buying a uniform or fuel) or paying savings interest when you are on a low income. If HMRC knows that you have paid too much tax, they will send you a P800 letter to inform you how you can claim the money back. You can generally claim the money back via a cheque that is sent out to you at a later date or online. HMRC do not send tax refund notifications via email, so any emails that you get stating that you’re due a refund are from phishing accounts, delete them and report the email address that they were sent from to HMRC.


VAT is a type of tax which is charged on the sale of goods and services, the sale of business assets, items sold to staff and commission. Some types of businesses must register for VAT and charge it accordingly, but they may also claim VAT back that they have paid. You’ll need to report how much VAT you have paid and charged to HMRC every three months using a VAT return- even if you don’t have anything to pay or reclaim. You can set up email reminders of when your return is due by logging into the HMRC online service.


Employers have to use a PAYE system to report payroll information to HMRC. In turn, the service will decide how much income tax and National Insurance contributions to collect from employees. If you run your own payroll, you’ll need to report payments and deductions to HMRC each month before payday. You’ll also need to fill out annual reports at the end of the year.

HMRC Online


HMRC Online is a range of services to help you manage your dealings with HMRC online. This includes personal tax accounts, self-assessment returns, stamp taxes and VAT.

Popular questions about HMRC

HMRC: What to do when an employee leaves?

You should make a note of the leaving date on your payroll records and make deductions as normal. You also need to give your employee a P45- if you are unable to produce one using your payroll software, you can order a copy from HMRC.

HMRC: How to register as an employer?

You can register as an employer online by using the HMRC website. The process takes around 2 weeks to complete.

About HMRC

HMRC was founded in 2005 following a merger between Her Majesty’s Customs and Excise and the Inland Revenue. Since then, it has been responsible for collecting taxes and overseeing certain legislation such as the minimum wage and national insurance.

For more about HMRC or assistance with one of the department’s services, call the HMRC helpline number on this page.