HMRC Employer

0843 658 0509

Employer setting up a new business

HMRC Employer Contact Numbers

HMRC Phone Number
Head Office 0843 658 0509
Employer Enquiries 0843 658 0509
Customer Services 0843 658 0509

HMRC Employer Helpline Opening Hours

Department Opening Hours
Customer Service 8:30am-11:30pm, 7 days a week

HMRC Employer Head Office Address

Department Address
Head Office
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

Reasons to call the HMRC Employer Helpline

  • I am a new employer and need some guidance
  • I would like to complain about the employer helpline
  • I want to enquire about National Insurance payments
  • I want to know what expenses I am entitled to as an employer
  • I want to know the benefits of being an employer in more detail
  • I have forgotten my log in details to my business tax account
  • I want to register as an employer
  • I have registered as an employer and have still not heard back from HMRC
  • I want to find out an employee’s tax code
  • I am having problems with my payroll software

About the HMRC Employer’s Helpline

HMRC provides a range of expert care and advice to those that are employers whether they have recently become one, are thinking about being one or have been one for years. As an employer, there are a number of laws and regulations that you must follow to ensure not only that you are being fair to your employees but also that you are creating a safe and successful working environment. There are a range of things that you may query as an employer such as how much National Insurance tax you and your employees should be paying, whether or not you yourself get any expenses or benefits as an employer and what to do about certain laws such as statutory sick pay, maternity and paternity pay and holiday entitlement. If you are a new employer HMRC are on hand to help you set up the HR side of your business. Please call the HMRC Employer helpline for help with things like stakeholder pensions, student loan repayments and CIS payments. You can also get help with confusing things that are now part of your responsibilities as an employer, such as understanding your employees’ tax codes and how much should be deducted when you are paying their wages. If you are self-employed you will now need to fill out tax returns and send them back to HMRC.

Registering as an Employer

It is important that you register as an employer with HM Revenue and Customs as soon as your start employing staff for work (or using subcontractors for construction work if you are a contractor). Registering is required before the first payday and it is advised that it is done as soon as possible as it can take up to two weeks before you are registered. If you are having any problems registering yourself as an employer or have not heard anything back from HMRC within two weeks, then please call the helpline. Registering as an employer is easy to do online via the Government website. Registering will require you to answer a number of questions such as whether or not you will be paying any employeeemployer guidances more than £112 a week or more. In most cases, this answer is yes. Please note that special rules do apply to certain types of companies for example if you are an offshore employer or a registrar/a Roman Catholic Priest or in any other kind of profession that requires you to pay and deduct your own tax. When registering you will be requested to list the type of business that you are, choosing from a range of multiple choice options. If you are not sure how you should register in your occupation, please call the helpline.

PAYE and Payroll for Employers

When operating a payroll, the rates and thresholds change every year. There is a guide available on the Government website about what the most recent rates and thresholds are, so you don’t get confused.  If you are registering as an employer and have established that you will be paying your employees over £112 per week then you will need to use the PAYE system on your payroll. PAYE make sure that HMRC is able to deduct tax payments from your employees’ wages (if they are earning over £112 per week they will all be eligible for tax payments). If you are new to the system, you will need to report the total amount of deductions you will be making every month on the day before payday, to HMRC. The total amount that you owe will be worked out by your payroll software, but call the helpline if you are having any issues. You will then have to pay HMRC, usually every month, the figure that your payroll system has calculated. If you are a small employer, you can arrange to pay quarterly instead. Visit the Government website for further information on how to do this. HMRC should be alerted whenever you take on a new employee or whenever your employee’s circumstances change such as when they reach state pension age.

Confirming an Employee Tax Code

You can check the tax code of one of your employees at any time by ringing HMRC. They can also ring them to check if they themselves are unsure and think that they are being deducted too much/too little tax. If you are phoning for your employee and want to find out their tax code you will need to have their PAYE reference number and National Insurance number to hand.


What is my HMRC Employer Reference Number?

Your HMRC Employer Reference Number is provided by HMRC when you register yourself as an employer. The code is totally unique to you and can be used to identify your business. It usually consists of numbers and letters, including a three digit HMRC office number. You can quote this number whenever you query anything PAYE related with HMRC.

What are the terms of employment law?

All employees must have a contract with their employer that sets out things like rights, responsibilities and duties. If an employee has signed a contract in the workplace, it means it is being accepted by both employer and employee and must be followed. If you are a new employer and have any queries about your rights as an employer or the rights of your employees then please call the HMRC Employer Helpline.

Am I entitled to Expenses and Benefits as an Employer?

There are a number of expenses and benefits that you are entitled to as an employer and a number of benefits that you can provide to your employees. You might need to tell HMRC and pay tax and National Insurance on these expenses. Expenses that are taxed include; company cars, health insurance and travel and entertainment expenses. There are different rules for different types of expenses and whether or not you should be paying tax on them. To report your expenses, you can head to the government website and submit a p11D form for all of the employees who have received these expenses. The form will then allow HMRC to calculate how much tax you owe on these expenses. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to call the HMRC Employer Helpline.