How Do I Get Help With Dental Costs – A Handy Guide

how to get help with dental costs

Most of the time, dental care and treatment are not included in the NHS. Dental treatments and care can be very costly if you’re struggling to pay for the treatment you need you can find out how to seek help with this helpful guide.

Under 18’s or 19-Year-Olds in Full Time Education

All under 18’s are provided with free dental care and treatment on the NHS. 19-year-olds who’re in full-time education are also covered for free dental treatment on the NHS until the day of their 20th birthday.

NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS)

The NHS offers a low-income scheme to help those who’re struggling to pay for their dental care and treatment due to low income. You can go to the NHS website or call 0300 330 1343 to inquire about submitting a form to enter the Low Income Scheme. The Low Income Scheme not only helps you to pay for dental costs and treatment but also for prescriptions.

Pregnant Women And Women Who Have Had a Baby in The Last 12 Months

If you’re a pregnant woman or a woman who has given birth in the past 12 months you’re entitled to free dental care and treatment. You will need to show your dentist your MatEx, MATB1 or your baby’s birth certificate to confirm you’re eligible for free dental care and treatment. If you would like to find out more about free dental treatment or about the documents you need to show your dentist you can call 0300 330 1343.

Over 60’s

If you’re over 60 and you (or your partner) receive the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit, Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Universal Credit (if you meet the criteria). If you meet one of these criteria you’re also eligible for free prescriptions.

Free Dental Care For Those Receiving Benefits

You’re entitled to free dental care and treatment if you or your partner or if you’re under 20 and the dependant of someone who is/are receiving:

  • Income support
  • Income-related employment and support allowance
  • Income-based jobseeker’s allowance
  • The guarantee credit part of pension credit
  • Universal credit and meet the criteria

Other Ways To Receive Free Dental Care

If you’re staying in an NHS and you’re being treated by an NHS dentist who is employed by the hospital, you will not be charged for the treatment and care they provide you with. You also receive free treatment if you’re being treated as an NHS hospital dental service outpatient.

Receiving a Refund For NHS Dental Treatment

You can receive a refund for any NHS treatment you have paid for in the past 3 months. You need to ask your dentist for the NHS receipt form FP64 or a receipt that which shows the NHS costs and the date you paid the costs on. You will also need an HCS(D) refund claim form for dental charges. You’ll need to include the original receipt for the charges, the full name and address of your dentist and then post the form to the address which should be printed on the top of the form.